WELLESLEY – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation has announced there will be a lane closure and off-ramp closure on Route 128/I-95 southbound in Wellesley/Needham this weekend as part of the ongoing Add-A-Lane project.
These traffic impacts will allow crews and contractors to safely and effectively conduct construction operations including full-depth roadway reconstruction.
The full list of traffic impacts is as follows:
- From 9 p.m., Friday, June 1, through 6 a.m., Saturday, June 2: one lane will be closed on Route 128/I-95 southbound in the area of the interchange with Route 9. Two travel lanes will be available to drivers during this time.
- From 9 p.m., Friday, June 1, through 6 a.m., Sunday, June 3: the ramp from Route 128/I-95 southbound to Route 9 westbound will be closed.
The following detour route for traffic on Route 128/I-95 southbound seeking to access Route 9 westbound will be in place:
- Drivers should remain on Route 128/I-95 at the Route 9 interchange, crossing over Route 9 on the Route 128/I-95 bridge;
- Continue south to Exit 19B at Highland Avenue and cross over Route 128/I-95 on the Highland Avenue bridge;
- Take the first right to merge onto Route 128/I-95 northbound;
- Take Route 128/I-95 northbound to Exit 20B; and,
- Merge on to Route 9 westbound and proceed as normal.
At the end of the operation, the off-ramp from Route 128/I-95 southbound will be signalized where it meets Route 9 westbound and all signals at the Route 9 Interchange placed on their final timing and phasing.
Temporary striping for the final configuration of the interchange will be placed and signal loop detectors (devices in the pavement which indicate the presence of vehicles to traffic signals) will be placed in advance of the operation described above.
At the end of the weekend operation, the shoulder will be excavated, regraded, paved to its new profile.
Likewise, the ramp will be tied into its new permanent location and the existing split between the southbound lanes of Route 128/I-95 will be removed.
Appropriate signage, law enforcement details, and messaging will be in place to guide drivers during these operations.
The schedule for this work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
MassDOT encourages drivers to reduce speed and use caution while approaching and traveling through the work zone.