FRAMINGHAM – Mayor-elect Yvonne Spicer began advertising for two senior advisors, paying up to $92,333 each today, December 29.
Spicer will officially be sworn in as the City of Framingham’s first mayor on January 1, as part of an inauguration. The public is invited.
The two positions are:
- Senior Policy Officer, with a pay range of $71,377 – $92,333
- Senior Advisor for External Affairs, with a pay range of $71,377 – $92,333
The Senior Policy Advisor, under the direction of the Mayor and the chief operating officer, “provides high level support implementing the Mayor’s vision and policy priorities into motion by working with divisions, departments, organizations and constituencies to discuss, plan, and execute the Mayor’s policy initiatives. This position works closes with community leaders, municipal divisions and departments, the City Council, School Committee and Municipal Boards. acts as a liaison to City Council members, responds to constituent inquires; attends and represents the Mayor at community events, school and service meetings. May be involved in sensitive and confidential topics; researches, analyzes and provides recommendations regarding difficult, sensitive, important and wide-ranging policy areas; serves as the Mayor’s liaison to Citywide committees and boards; and performs related duties as assigned.”
The Senior Advisor for External Affairs, under the direction of the Mayor and the chief operating officer, “assists the Mayor in overseeing all aspects of the Executive Office operations including identify policy needs, developing and executing, building and managing coalitions in support of legislative initiatives, mitigating crises, and other issues that may arise. The Senior Advisor for External Affairs will also play a critical role in assisting the Mayor and City Council leadership in ensuring the legislative business of the City is running smoothly. This position also serves as the primary liaison with the Statehouse, other Federal agencies and local government officials on projects affecting Framingham initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with drive, good judgment, and political experience to dive directly into the center of Framingham’s new government sphere.”
“The Mayor’s Senior Policy Advisor reports regularly to the Mayor updating progress on policy and initiatives, only referring difficult or unusual or highly sensitive and confidential matters to the Mayor. The incumbent is a liaison for the City Council and the constituency. The incumbent may research, analyze and make recommendations for solutions and courses of action using sound judgment. Responsibilities are broad in scope and require a high degree of political acumen and administrative discretion. The incumbent is expected to exercise considerable discretion in carrying out responsibilities independently and with awareness of City, office and constituent issues and sensitivities,” states the job description.
“The Mayor’s Senior Advisor for External Affairs is a dynamic position refers only difficult or unusual or highly sensitive and confidential matters to the Mayor or Chief Operating Officer, handling routine matters. The incumbent is often the initial contact and liaison for the constituency. The incumbent may research, analyze, draft and make recommendations for policy and courses of action using sound judgment. Responsibilities are broad in scope, balance multiple priorities and require a high degree of
political acumen. The incumbent is expected to have professional experience, preferably with a background in both legislative and campaign work, either at the local, state or congressional level. The incumbent has some discretion in carrying out responsibilities with awareness of City, office and constituent issues and sensitivities,” states the job description.
The Senior Policy Advisor would:
- Support the Mayor on a wide range of complex, sensitive and confidential topics to ensure that the Mayor’s policy priorities are front and center;
- Build and work collaboratively with community leaders, City Council, School Committee and Municipal boards in building out new program and initiatives to move Framingham forward;
- Lead the Mayor’s meetings with senior key municipal leaders; coordinate and proactively develop relationships to ensure that the Mayor’s agenda is well received.
- Act as a liaison for and represent the Mayor on Citywide issues; assist the Mayor and other elected officials in providing leadership in addressing complex and sensitive Citywide matters;
- Develop, review and interpret complex policies affecting the City and advise the Mayor using independent sound judgement;
- Review, develop, streamline, advise on, and implement municipal offices processes and systems consistent with the needs of our new city; Assist in planning and coordinating the Mayor’s activities; handle and resolve matters where appropriate;
- Research and draft materials such as speeches, talking points and letters; research and write briefs in preparation for meetings, etc.;
- Solicit input, research, and write reports, papers, and plans for the Mayor;
- Lead on the establishment standards and systems for municipal engagement and relationship building for all teams across the City to ensure consistency of approach to meet the Mayor’s expectations;
- Realize the benefits of a flexible approach to work in undertaking the duties and responsibilities of this position and participating in multi-disciplinary cross department and cross-organizational groups and teams;
- Liaise with Senior Advisor of External Affairs to maintain effective and proactive relationships across a range of associated bodies and organizations
- Collaborate with the Communications/Public Information Officer to ensure that the Mayor and her accomplishments are communicated fully and in a timely matter to the general public
The Senior Advistory for External Affairs would:
- Assist in day to day management of the Executive Office, and review and help create materials covering all aspects of the office work.
- Research, review, and draft policy proposals; draft policy briefs; work directly with Representatives to develop legislation; and assisting with stakeholder/community engagement and problem solving.
- Anticipate issues of a significant policy and political nature affecting Framingham and develops effective strategies for resolving them.
- Determine resources for Mayor on issues of a significant policy, organizational, and political nature.
- Assist Mayor with City Council policy/initiatives that come before council meetings or committees by researching background materials, developing options and presenting information to Mayor.
- Attend City Council meeting with the Mayor, or on her behalf, and meet with elected officials on the local, state and federal level.
- Community outreach to ensure effective constituent programs; helping with staff management and scheduling; and looking for opportunities to expand and refine city wide programs.
- Ensure effective operations by planning, directing, and coordinating activities that provide intergovernmental advocacy, communications, administration of Mayoral functions, overseeing the advancement of local legislation and fostering public engagement strategies.
- Collaborate with, and serve as part of the senior staff management team and serves as Mayoral liaison to the City Council on issues related to the Mayor’s agenda, proposed legislation, and strategic partnerships.
- Provides advanced professional expertise, and support to the Mayor on a wide range of highly complex, sensitive, and confidential topics facing Framingham.
- Analyze potential impacts of local, state and federal legislative and regulatory proposals related to relevant public policy issues.
- Establish, develop, maintain, and enhance strong and trusted external relationships with individuals and organizations necessary to accomplish the Mayor’s short and long-term goals, including; local, state, and federal elected officials, policy makers, and key staff.
The senior policy advisor should have a “Master’s Degree in Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science or related field, 7-10 years of experience in local government, preferably City Government experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. A passion for the City of Framingham!”
The senior advisor for external affairs should have a “Bachelor’s Degree in a Public Administration, Public Policy or related field, 5-7 years of experience in local government, preferably City Government experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.”