FRAMINGHAM – In February 2016, the Framingham School Committee voted to reduce the athletic fee at Framingham High from $225 per sport to $110 per sport per athlete.
While Framingham High Athletic Director Paul Spear supported the reduction in the athletic fee, the 50 percent cut in fee meant a loss of nearly $100,o00 from the athletic department’s budget, said Spear.
So in September a golf tournament will be held to raise money for the athletic department, to offset that loss of almost $100,000.
The Inaugural Framingham Flyer Athletic Golf Tournament will be held on Monday, Sept. 25 at Framingham Country Club.
Registration is now open.
Proceeds will support the Framingham High athletic department, said Committee Chair Jim Kelly.
“The tourney is a great opportunity to create some community spirit and raise money for the things that will provide our student athletes with a great experience,” said Spear, who said the high school has about 1,200 athletes participating in more than 30 sports.
Framingham High athletes compete at a high level. For example, the
- Framingham High’s boys volleyball team won the state title in the Spring of 2016.
- Dance team won a state title in 2016.
- Girls swim won its 13th consecutive Bay State Conference title.
- Boys hockey team went to the state finals at TD Garden in 2017.
“The money (raised by the tournament) will be spent on anything from providing transportation to equipment needs,” said Spear. “It will be used strictly to support the student-athlete experience.”
MutualOne Bank has signed on as the tournament’s lead sponsor, donating $10,000.
Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze sponsorships are still available.
- Platinum Sponsor is $5,000. Sponsor receives 2 foursomes, special recognition, and tee signage
- Gold Sponsor is$2,500. Sponsor receives 1 foursome, special recognition, and tee signage
- Silver Sponsor is $1,250. Sponsor receives golf for 2 individuals, special recognition, and tee signage
- Bronze Sponsor is 500. Sponsor receives golf for 1 individual, special recognition and tee signage
Businesses, organizations, and individuals can sponsor a tee for $100.
To golf, the fee is $195 per player or $750 for a foursome.
The tournament is a shotgun start at 1 p.m.
Fee includes lunch at noon and dinner with cash bar, appetizers, and raffles after the golf tournament.
Tickets for just the dinner, raffles, and auction are $40 each.
To register to golf or purchase tickets to the dinner email Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also contact Kelly about sponsorships at email@example.com
Members of the Committee include Spear, Kelly, Assistant Athletic Director Mike Bissanti, Karen Fimlaid, Rick Finlay, Will Cook, and Chris Connolly.
Updated to fix typo