FRAMINGHAM – A veterinarian removed an ingested “rubber nipple from a baby bottle or child’s cup” from an emaciated dog found in Framingham.
The emaciated pit bull-mix dog has been released from Tufts V.E.T.S Walpole, said Framingham Animal Control Director Katherine MacKenzie.
“The veterinarian feels that the object was in the dog’s stomach for a long period of time. During that time, it would have caused the dog to vomit frequently. The dog may have suffered with this condition for weeks or months. Recently, the object moved from the stomach to the intestines, completely blocking the intestines. Once in that position, each time the dog ate or drank anything he would vomit within minutes. Thankfully, the surgery was performed before any damage was done to the intestines,” said MacKenzie.
The dog is on a strict re-feeding program as ordered by the veterinarian.
He is also on medication that will aid in his comfort and recovery.
However, he is expected to make a full recovery in 6 to 8 weeks, said MacKenzie.
Framingham Animal Control is still seeking any information regarding the owners of this dog.
The dog was found on Route 135 on Sunday in Framingham. He had the surgery on Tuesday.
Photo courtesy of Framingham Police.