SLIDESHOW: Flyers Shut Out Franklin; Advance to Division 1 South Semifinals

BOURNE – Senior Ben Stefanini scored the game winner, as Framingham High’s boys ice hockey team shut out Franklin High in the Division 1 South tournament on Sunday evening at Gallo Arena in Bourne.

The 3-0 win over the Franklin Panthers advances the Flyers, under first-year head coach Will Ortiz, into the semifinals of the tournament.

The Flyers are now 14-6-4.

Framingham will battle Xaverian High on Thursday, March 9, again at Gallo Arena in Bourne. Puck drops at 5:30 p.m.

Xaverian defeated Catholic Memorial 3-2 in double overtime to advance to the semifinals. Wellesley and Braintree will battle in the other semifinal.

The finals are scheduled for Sunday, March 12 at 5:30 p.m. in Bourne.

On Sunday, Framingham played a solid first period, outshooting Franklin in an evenly played first 15 minutes, but neither team scored in the opening period.

Framingham opened the scoring at 7:13 of the second period.

The Flyers broke out of their zone up the right wing.  Nate Nichols chipped a puck off the boards into the neutral zone.  Linemate Ben Stefanini picked up the pass cut over the Franklin blue line.  Stefanini moved to the middle of the ice right to left and ripped a low wrist shot past the goalies left pad to put Framingham up 1-0.

The Flyers extended their lead on a Michael Tersoni power play goal at the 3:29 mark.  The Framingham set up its power play in the Franklin zone and moved the puck with crisp passing from the left wing corner, up the to point where Ben Stefanini found Joey MacInnis open wide on the right wing.  As the Franklin defensive unit swung to react to open MacInnis, he found Michael Tersoni all alone in front of the Franklin net.  Tersoni was patient with the puck and picked his spot short top corner over the goalie’s right shoulder for a 2-0 Framingham lead.

Flyer goaltender Alex Moore was outstanding all game, but particularly in the second period as the Franklin offensive attack pressed hard for a goal.

Framingham had a strong third period and solidified the lead with 2:08 left in the game.  Joey MacInnis put in a rebound goal on a flurry of shot during a Flyer power play to make it 3-0 Framingham.  Scott Swennes and Michael Tersoni assisted on the goal


Photos by Tiago Anes

Framingham Source Editor Susan Petroni

Susan Petroni Framingham Source Editor Email: Phone: 508-315-7176

Leave a Reply