UPDATED: Flyers Advance To Division 1 South Quarterfinals Defeating Trojans 4-1

CANTON – The Framingham High boys ice hockey team defeated Bridgewater-Raynham at the Ice House in Canton Thursday night, in the opening round of the MIAA Division 1 South tournament.

The Flyers defeated the Trojans 4-1.

With the win, the 13-6-4 Flyers will play the winner of the Brockton vs Franklin game in the quarterfinals of the tournament at Gallo Arena in Bourne on Sunday, March 5 at 4:45 p.m. The Brockton vs Franklin game is scheduled for tonight, March 3.

The Framingham Flyers exploded for a 3-goal second period to defeat Bridgewater-Raynham.
The first period ended 0-0 with Framingham playing a solid game and having a number of strong scoring opportunities.
The Flyers opened the scoring at 13:35 of the second period.
A strong forecheck by the MacInnis-Stefanini-Nichols line pinned B-R in their zone and created a loose puck opportunity.  MacInnis picked up the puck, MacInnis walked across the slot and ripped a wrist shot top corner to put the Flyers up 1-0.  Ben Stefanini assisted on the goal.
Just 17 second later the Flyers added to their lead.  Anthony James carried the puck into the B-R zone, around the defensemen and behind the net.  As he was moving behind the net he dropped a backhander pass out front.  Scott Swennes got a piece of the pass which bounced out front where Michael Tersoni picked up the puck, took 2 strides to his left to create shooting space and ripped a short-side wrist shot to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead.
The Flyers weren’t done in the middle period.  At the 10:45 mark the Flyers went up 3-0.  The Flyers were breaking out of their zone up the left wing.  Left Wing Michael Tersoni accepted a breakout pass from defenseman Evan Marinofsky, curled around the pinching B-R defensemen and laid a pretty pass to a streaking Scott Swennes coming out of the zone from the right wing.  Swennes came through the neutral zone, down the left wing, around the B-R defenseman and curled around the Trojans goalie, tucking the puck underneath him for a 3-0 Flyer lead.
With 5:45 left in the third period B-R tallied a short-handed goal to cut the Flyer lead to 3-1.  The Flyers responded quickly though.  At the 3:25 mark Swennes picked up puck high in the B-R zone, moved down the right side and ripped a wrist shot top right corner to put the Flyers up 4-1.  Michael Tersoni and Ryan Watton assisted on the goal.
Flyer goaltender Alex Moore was solid when called upon, making some key saves throughout the night.


Framingham Source Editor Susan Petroni

Susan Petroni Framingham Source Editor Email: editor@FraminghamSource.com Phone: 508-315-7176

Leave a Reply