Framingham Defeats Marshfield in Overtime; Tersoni’s Shoot-Out Goal Moves Flyers to Finals

FRAMINGHAM – In a true team effort, the Framingham boys hockey team defeated Marshfield 3-2 in an exciting, up and down overtime thriller that had fans on their feet all game long Tuesday night at Loring Arena.  

A Michael Tersoni shoot-out goal along with 6 consecutive shoot-out saves by Flyer goalie Alex Moore capped a great night of hockey at the old barn.  

The win puts the Flyers in the MyHockey Live Cup Finals Wednesday night against Catholic Memorial.

The puck is scheduled to drop at 7:50 p.m. today, Dec. 28. at Loring Arena.

The Flyers record is now to 2-1-1 (for purposes of regulation play – the overtime was done for the tournament).

Framingham came out fast in the first period, establishing a strong forecheck and putting consistent pressure inside the Marshfield zone.  

Shift after shift the Flyers kept coming at Marshfield controlling the play and nearly capitalizing on a number of good scoring chances.  But with 4:45 left in the first period, the Rams struck first tallying a power play goal to take a 1-0 lead.  Marshfield took that lead into the second period.

The second period opened with Marshfield pressuring the Flyers early and controlling several shifts in a row.  The Flyers though tied the game with 10:14 left in the second period.  Tersoni took a puck down the rightwing in the Marshfield zone and put a backhander by the Ram goalie.  Scott Swennes and Ben Stefanini assisted on the goal.  The 2nd period continued with up and down play, with Framingham outnumbering the quality of scoring chances throughout the period.  The period ended 1-1.

The Flyers took their first lead of the night less than 3 minutes into the third period with a hard work goal.  Dylan Carrafiello carried the puck thru the neutral zone down the left wing, dumped the puck deep into the Ram zone around the dasher and behind the net where Nik Pagano picked up the loose puck and passed in front to Anthony James who was driving hard to the net.  James buried the pass behind the Ram keeper to put the Flyers up.  

Marshfield struck right back.  With 10:46 left in the game the Rams intercepted a pass high in the Flyers zone, walked in and scored to tie the game at 2-2.  The excitement was just beginning.  The Flyers responded with additional scoring opportunities before a Flyer 4-minute penalty with just over 2 minutes left in the game gave Marshfield an extended power play.  The Flyers penalty kill held off the Rams for the remainder of the game.  

As overtime started the Rams stayed on a power play, with a 4-on-3 advantage, for the first 2 minutes of the overtime. The Flyers penalty kill was consistent and limited the quality of the Ram chances.  The last 3 minutes saw open ice 3 vs 3 hockey with both teams trading great scoring opportunities, including a Ram breakaway stuffed by goalie Moore and several odd man rushes by the Flyers that they were unable to capitalize on.  

The game then moved to a 5-player shoot out.  

Framingham junior Moore was spectacular, flashing the pads on several Ram dekes to deny their scoring opportunities.  

As the shoot out moved deep in the rounds and neither team able to score, the excitement in Loring Arena rose even higher.  

After 5 rounds of shoot out play, the overtime score remained 0-0.  

The shootout then moved to a sudden death shootout.  

Framingham sophomore Tersoni ripped a shot past the Ram goalie to give the Flyers the lead as the home fans erupted.  

Moore, who had already made several outstanding saves, stuffed Marshfield’s last attempt to give the Flyers the 3-2 overtime shootout win.


During the game, Marshfield and Framingham both hung jerseys of #10 and #19 behind their benches, to honor the two high school hockey players killed in Falmouth.

Framingham Source Editor Susan Petroni

Susan Petroni Framingham Source Editor Email: Phone: 508-315-7176

Leave a Reply