SLIDESHOW: Flyer 7th Grade Football Has Stellar 20-0 Win Against Weymouth

After traveling to Walpole last Saturday, the Framingham Youth Football teams returned home to the Framingham State University Football Field to take on the Weymouth Wildcats.

The 7th Grade Weymouth squad started off with the ball and hoped to be the first team to put points on the board. However, the 7th grrade Flyer defense forced the Wildcats to turn over the ball on downs, and Framingham quickly took over possession. Flyer running back Rodrigo Ramirez then flew through the middle of field and scored on a 60 yard touchdown run, giving the Flyers a 6-0 lead. Framingham’s defense smothered the Weymouth offense through the first quarter, as the Wildcats struggled to get yards.

Framingham’s next possession didn’t go as well, and a turnover then gave Weymouth the ball at Framingham’s 45 yard line. Despite this awesome field position, great plays by Framingham’s Kevaun Smith, Kevin Rodrigues, and others made sure that Weymouth couldn’t get a single first down on this drive.

Marcus O’Brien got the Flyers rolling on their next possession, starting off with a 10 yard run and following that up with a 25 yard reception from quarterback Cody Coleman. However, the Flyer offense wasn’t able to do much damage for the rest of the 1st half. They were stopped on a 4th down at the Wildcat 30 yard line and gave Weymouth possession of the ball late in the first quarter. There was no more scoring in the 2nd quarter, and the Flyers went into halftime with a 6-0 lead.

Although the first half was a tough defensive battle, the Flyers began the 2nd half with an offensive explosion. Cody Coleman returned the next Weymouth kickoff for a 70 yard touchdown, breaking every tackle in sight on his way to the end zone. After stopping Weymouth’s next drive, the Flyers drove down the field with the help of a speedy 42 yard run by Marcus O’Brien. Kevin Branch followed up this huge play with a short 3 yard touchdown run, extending Framingham’s lead to 18-0. O’Brien then made the score 20-0 Framingham with 2-point kick.

Weymouth was again forced to punt on their second drive of the half, and the Flyer defense continued their shutout. With about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Framingham defensive back Kevaun Smith jumped in front of a Weymouth receiver and intercepted a pass, giving Framingham the ball at the Weymouth 34 yard line. Tim Sullivan and Kevin Branch were also making stellar plays throughout the game for Framingham’s stout defense, and Flyer Filipe Cotta recovered a Weymouth fumble with 2:03 left in the 4th quarter to all but seal the game. The Flyers ended up defeating the Wildcats 20-0 with a dominant performance.


Photos by Susan Petroni/Petroni Media Company ©2016. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply