Each spring, the Congressional Institute sponsors a nationwide high school visual art competition to recognize and encourage artistic talent in the nation and in each congressional district.
Since the competition began in 1982, more than 650,000 high school students have participated.
Students submit entries to their representative’s office, and panels of district artists select the winning entries.
Winners are recognized both in their district and at an annual awards ceremony in Washington, DC.
The winning works are displayed for one year at the U.S. Capitol.
The competition is open to high school students only.
Artwork must be two-dimensional. Each framed artwork can be no larger than 28” x 28” x 4” (28 inches high, 28 inches wide, and 4 inches deep). If your artwork is selected as the winning piece, it must arrive framed and must still measure no larger than the above maximum dimensions. No framed piece should weigh more than 15 pounds.
Public and private high school students in the fifth district, which includes Framingham, are encouraged to participate in this year’s Congressional Art Competition hosted by Congresswoman Katherine Clark.
Accepted mediums for the two-dimensional artwork are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collages: must be two dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
The winner will have their original artwork displayed in the United States Capitol for the following year.
How to apply:
The deadline for artwork submission is Tuesday, April 26 at 5:30 p.m.
- Complete the 2016 Student Information/Release Form
- Complete the Social Media Release Form
- Review the 2016 Art Competition Guidelines for students
- Follow the Art Submission Checklist
- Submit your release forms and artwork to our district office at 701 Concord Ave, Suite 101, Cambridge, MA 02138
- Art Competition Social Media Release Form 2016 – Art Competition Social Media Permission Form_For Submission.pdf
- Art Submission Check List – 2016_art_submission_checklist.pdf
- Student Release Form – 2016_Student_Release_Form.pdf
- Rules for Students and Teachers – 2016_Rules_for_Students_and_Teachers.pdf