I write in reflection of serving with a great colleague, John Stefanini as my dear friend and former colleague on the Board of Selectman in the early 1990’s and most recently on the Charter Commission.
John and I both grew up on the deep southside of Town – I on Winthrop and he on Dow Street. Our paths crossed at the nearby Town beach on Waushakum Pond where John was the infamous beach rat. It was then I learned of John’s desire to be of help whenever he can and his ability to create a team approach to solving problems utilizing everyone’s individual talents.
I know John as a dedicated individual with the desire to make Framingham a better place to live, learn work and play. John is leader of doers and has the keen ability to bring talented folks together to accomplish the necessary tasks of a public agenda.
He has always worked tirelessly on your behalf and will continue to do so with his vast experience both in the public sector as a former 4 term State Representative and two term Town of Framingham Selectman as well as a long and exemplary career as an attorney, most recently with DLA Piper of Boston.
During our tenure together on the Board of Selectman and after my departure John was quite accomplished having collaborated with folks he was able to effect:
- Dramatic cost savings and significant increases in our commercial tax base;
- Opening of new schools and construction of new Police, Fire and Public Works facilities;
- Adoption of Education Reform & Financing Law, proving record funding and reform for our
- Creation of the Metrowest Health Foundation;
- Decline in crime rates and establishment of community policing;
- Establishment of curbside recycling and paramedic level emergency services;
- Establishment of two sister cities: Lomonosov, Russia and Governador Valdares, Brazil;
- Creation of Cushing, Victory, and Roosevelt parks and Merchant Road Soccer Complex
- Expanded open space at Callahan State Park and Wittenborg Woods; and
- Opening of the Boys and Girls Club.
John’s public and private careers has given him the vast but deep rooted knowledge and experience to become your next mayor. He will need you to work with him to transition our government into its new City form where there will exist equal representation from all neighborhoods and districts of Framingham.
John is experienced and prepared to begin work on day one on your behalf to make this the community it can be and one we are all proud to call home.
Former Framingham Charter Commissioner
Former Framingham Selectmen