FRAMINGHAM – Framingham Public schools began advertising for a two-way department head this week.
The goal of the department head is to “strengthen and solidify the 2-way program at the secondary level” and “to ensure an effective transition across schools.”
The department head will be responsible for overseeing all curriculum review and development within the department and will serve as the curriculum leader in all areas of the discipline. The department head will conduct regular meetings to facilitate vertical alignment and refine curriculum and instruction.
Framingham Superintendent of Schools Bob Tremblay said “the need for purposeful and proactive leadership for the high school became very clear during the high school principal search meetings with the community
“As a result, the district is using the breakage that comes with salary differentials in terminations and hirings to create a non-supervisory and evaluative department head whose sole responsibility will be to spearhead the two-way program at the high school in order to ensure the satisfactory continuation of instruction for our two-way program students,” said the superintendent to Source.
Tremblay said the stipend position pays $5,500.
The job description posted said the new “department head will elicit input from teachers to identify departmental goals, which are congruent with school(s) and district-wide goals.” The job description states it is a secondary position for grades 6-12.
The job description also listed the following responsibilities:
- Plan relevant professional opportunities for teachers in the department.
- Set and models expectations for the quality of content, student effort, and student work, and supports educators to uphold these expectations consistently.
- Encourage collaboration (collegiality) within and across departments.
- Facilitate public engagement to recognize students, teachers and departmental accomplishments and initiatives.
- Coordinate the SEAL of Biliteracy project, LEA (Latinas en Accion) at grades 6-12.
- Work collaboratively with the administration (both school-based administration and Central Office) as well as community organizations.
- Assist in hiring of staff.
- Assist with Curriculum Night.
The position would report to the “building principals with input from the director of bilingual education” for the district.
- Current and valid MA DESE license in Spanish (6-8) or (9-12)
- Evidence of the emotional maturity and stability necessary for the work involved
- Must be a current and active teacher of Framingham Public Schools
The position will be a part of the Framingham Teachers Association Unit A contract.