The old adage, ‘think globally and act locally’, has never been more important. In Framingham there is a part we can play to counter President Trump’s short sighted environmental policies by redoubling our efforts to make Framingham a green community.
- Reduce, recycle & reuse our solid waste streams and safely reduce, eliminate and dispose of hazardous waste by setting aggressive measurable goals for each and establishing known best practices, and explore the feasibility of curbside composting;
- Increase residents awareness of how they can conveniently reduce their carbon footprint and help make Green Framingham a reality in our homes and in our daily lives;
- Preserve, protect and promote our open space and recreational areas, including our working farms, Farmers’ Markets and community gardens;
- Increase Framingham’s use of renewable energy, reducing its overall power consumption, utilizing a more environmentally friendly fleet of vehicles, and exploring additional alternative energy sources including wind, solar and non-fossil fuel sources to power technology; and,
- Cleanup environmentally contaminated sites throughout our community, including 350 Irving Street and Dennison Park, prevent pollution, stop pollution and hold environmental polluters responsible.
To achieve these goals, we need to make our environment one of our top priorities. Currently in Framingham, no one person is charged with monitoring and managing our progress in achieving these goals. As Mayor, I will assign this significant responsibility a full-time Director of Environmental Integrity who will be accountable to get this done.
- Establishment of curbside recycling, hazardous waste collection days, and neighborhood cleanups;
- Creation of Cushing, Victory and Roosevelt parks, and Merchant Road Soccer Complex;
- Expansion of open space at Callahan State Park and the creation of Wittenborg Woods; and,
- Passage of the landmark River’s Act and Community Preservation Act.
Working together, we can and will be good stewards of our environment.
Candidate for Mayor