The following is an announcement submitted by the candidate, per the Framingham Source election policy. As per the policy, the statement is published below as submitted.
Today I am excited to join the race to serve on the Framingham School Committee in District 4. As a father of young children who currently attend and will attend Framingham Public Schools during the next two decades, I have a strong background in education policy at the federal, state and local levels I believe the School Committee can benefit from. I look forward to meeting you in the coming months so you can hear my vision for our school district.
If elected, I would bring my extensive background in education policy at all levels of government to the Committee. This includes eight years on Beacon Hill in the Office of the Governor Deval Patrick and Lt. Governor Timothy Murray leading state Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) initiatives, currently working on education partnerships at Hanscom Air Force Base, and serving as both a member of the 2017 Framingham Superintendent Search Committee and President of the Framingham Centre Nursery School Board.
A little about me:
· Family – My wife Nicole and I are homeowners in District 4. We are the parents of a kindergartner at Dunning, a preschooler at Framingham Centre Nursery School, and a two month old baby.
· Superintendent Search Committee – In 2017 I was appointed by the School Committee to serve on the Framingham Superintendent Search Committee. I worked with a diverse, talented group to recommend candidates for the position. Filling this vacancy was personally important to me because my kids will be directly impacted for years by the superintendent’s decisions.
· Education and Recognitions – I received both my Master’s and Bachelor’s Degrees from Clark University. I am a 2013 recipient of the U.S. Army Commander’s Award for Public Service, which was presented because of my work to support the Commonwealth’s military families and active duty military personnel. I am also a 2016 graduate of Leadership MetroWest.
· State Education Policy Efforts – I have long been a supporter of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and educator development and training. During my time in the Governor’s Office I coordinated the creation of the Massachusetts STEM Advisory Council, oversaw the development of the state’s first statewide STEM Plan, secured funding, and authored legislation to expand access to high-quality STEM education for students. I also worked as the Administration’s liaison to the Local Government Advisory Commission which includes the Massachusetts Association of School Committees.
· Current Job – I am a Senior Advisor for Innovation and Collaboration at Hanscom Air Force Base. My focus is on creating new partnerships with education institutions and government.
In addition to the common sense concepts of fiscal responsibility, transparency and communication our school district must have, I plan to prioritize and support:
· STEM and the Arts Initiatives to Support Career and Life Readiness
· Mental Health and Special Education Supports
· Substance Abuse Prevention
· Strategic Collaborations with Framingham’s Mayor and City Council
There is a level of excitement as we transition to a city and elect a new School Committee. Yet with that excitement comes an expected level of responsibility from our elected leaders.
I was frustrated by the circumstances of the previous Superintendent’s time in office. We have thankfully moved past much of that crisis.
Yet as we saw with the recent unfortunate layoffs due to poor budgeting under the previous administration, there is much more work to transition and set our schools on a better path under the leadership of Superintendent Tremblay.
I am confident that my background will serve the School Committee well during this new era for Framingham. I pledge to draw on my strong, education-based record and contribute to the capable, professional, and transparent leadership our public school system deserves.
For additional details on my priorities, please visit my School Committee Facebook page at www.facebook.com/