FRAMINGHAM – Forty-four individuals applied to be the next Framingham High School Principal, said Framingham Public Schools Human Resource Director Inna Kantor London.
Framingham High Principal Elyse Torbert submitted her resignation last month. She is leaving in July to move to the west coast with her family. Torbert is the third high school principal since 2014.
After screening the applicants for qualifications, only 15 were offered to the 18-member Framingham High Screening Committee to consider to interview, said London.
The 18-member Committee, which began meeting in March is expected to interview four candidates for interviews, said London. The original timeline, had those interviews scheduled for this week. Those interviews would be closed to the public.
One part of the original timeline to hire a new principal has changed.
London said incoming Superintendent of Schools Robert Tremblay will hire the new high school principal.
This will be the district’s fourth high school principal in the last 5 years.
Originally, Interim Superintendent Ed Gotgart and newly-named Superintendent Tremblay were expected to name a new high school principal the week of May 8, but with Tremblay officially starting tomorrow, April 3, he will make the decision alone.
Under state law, the Superintendent of Schools and not the elected School Committee is in charge of hiring principals.
Members of the screening committee include:
- Ildefonso Arellano (District’s Assistant Director of Special Education)
- Glenda Cohen (English as a Second Language teacher, Framingham resident)
- Jeff Convery (FAA President, Framingham High Vice Principal, parent of Framingham High student and graduate)
- Roxanna Copeland (Paraprofessional, Framingham resident)
- Maria Davis (Department Head, World Languages teacher, Framingham resident)
- Sonia Diaz (District’s Chief Academic Officer)
- Peter Erbland (Department Head, Technology Education teacher)
- Sarah Hofschire (incoming 2017-18 Framingham High PTO President)
- Anne Ludes (Framingham High Associate Principal, parent)
- Michelle Melick (Principal of Cameron Middle School)
- Nancy Novo O’Connor (Cameron PTO President, parent of incoming high school student)
- Maria Sequenzia (History teacher)
- Colette Sicotte (English Teacher, parent)
- Viviana Vilches (parent)
- Kerry Wood (Framingham Teachers Association building representative, English teacher)
- Deborah Butler (Town Meeting member and resident)
- Latoyia Edwards (parent)
- Kylon Colinet (parent)
Editor’s note: In full transparent, I am a parent of a Framingham High student.