1 There is a 2-hour delay for many school in Framingham, including the Framingham Public Schools, due to yesterday’s Nor’easter. Municipal offices will open late at 10 a.m. There is a parking ban still in effect until noon.
2. The 19th Annual Brophy Elementary science fair takes place tonight. Framingham Source will attend and publish a report and photos.
3. The founder of www.transathlete.com will speak at Framingham High tonight at 7. The public is invited. In 2015, Chris Mosier became the first openly trans man to make a Men’s US National Team when he qualified for the Sprint Duathlon team. In 2015, he was a catalyst for change in the International Olympic Committee policy on transgender athletes.
4. Advocates in Framingham will host a free community conversation with Mia Kurtti, a leading practitioner of Open Dialogue, a compassionate alternative to supporting individuals experiencing mental health challenges tonight at 7.
Kurtti is a family therapist and psychiatric nurse from Finland who is a member of the team that developed Open Dialogue. The internationally recognized approach emphasizes dialogue with the person in crisis and that person’s social network. Studies have shown impressive results with the approach, including marked reductions in the use of psychotropic medications, hospitalizations and long-term disability.
5. The Charter Commission is holding a forum tonight on the ballot question before voters on April 4. After working almost a year on a home rule charter, eight of the nine elected Charter Commissioners voted to recommend that registered voters approve a city form of government on April 4. Every house in Framingham with a registered voter was mailed the majority report (vote yes) and the minority report (vote no).
If you vote, yes Framingham will become a city form of government with a mayor, an 11-member City Council and an expanded 9-member School Committee.
If you vote no, Framingham will keep its town manager, Selectmen and Town Meeting form of government.
Tonight’s public forum is at Keefe Technical High School’s auditorium. The other forums are:
- Tuesday, March 21: McCarthy Elementary School
- Thursday, March 23: St. Tarcisius, Parish Center
- Monday, March 27: Wilson Elementary School