BOSTON – Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker has nominated Bill Barrett, an attorney from Concord and Andover attorney Salim Tabit to serve as Associate Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court.
“I have the utmost confidence that Bill Barrett and Salim Tabit have the temperament and dedication to serve the people of the Commonwealth on the Superior Court,” said Governor Baker, in a statement. “Both attorneys bring diverse backgrounds and distinguished legal careers filled with a wealth of civil, criminal, trial and public service experiences.”
“These two well-respected and experienced attorneys exude the hard work and character necessary for serving the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with justice and integrity,” said Lt. Governor Karyn Polito. “I look forward to the Council’s review of the nominees.”
The Superior Court is comprised of 82 justices in 20 courthouses across all 14 counties and is a statewide court of general jurisdictions that handles a broad variety of civil litigation in matters of contract, injury, civil rights, and others with amounts in controversy exceeding $25,000.
In addition, the Court oversees criminal matters including homicide, sex offenses, robbery, and financial fraud. Approximately 65% of the cases are civil lawsuits and the remaining 35 percent are criminal proceedings.
Judicial nominations are subject to the advice and consent of the Governor’s Council. Applicants for judicial openings are reviewed by the Judicial Nominating Commission (JNC) and recommended to the governor. Governor Baker established the JNC in February, 2015 pursuant to Executive Order 558, a non-partisan, non-political Commission composed of volunteers from a cross-section of the Commonwealth’s diverse population to screen judicial applications. Twenty-one members were later appointed to the JNC in April, 2015.
About Bill Barrett: William Barrett is a partner at Esdaile, Barrett, Jacobs & Mone law firm where he is a trial attorney with a focus on complex civil litigation in the areas of tort law and contract disputes as well as criminal defense. He became an Assistant District Attorney in the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office in 1988 where he prosecuted criminal cases in the District Court. He graduated from Brown University in 1983 with a B.A. and from Boston University Law School in 1988. Attorney Barrett has important public service experience, having served on various town committees, including Chairman of the Concord Zoning Board of Appeals. He is a recent past President of the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Board of Trial Attorneys, where he helped organize educational programs, as well as award ceremonies highlighting the contributions of the Commonwealth’s judges and attorneys.
About Salim Tabit: Salim R. Tabit is a Founding Partner at Broadhurst Tabit LLP, a general practice law firm specializing in civil litigation, real estate conveyance work, small business representation, immigration and criminal defense work. Tabit began his legal career in 1995 as an Assistant District Attorney in Essex County and was later assigned to the Lawrence District Court where he would serve as Head of the Juvenile Justice Unit. In 1998, he opened his own firm, handling criminal and civil litigations focusing primarily on matters of immigration and family reunification. In 1999, he became an associate at Broadhurst, Lakin & Lakin, where he handled a wide variety of legal matters and often provides pro bono work in poor and underrepresented communities. He graduated from Carleton College with a B.A. in Political Science in 1991 and from Boston College Law School in 1994.